Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Day of Firsts.



So I admit, at times I can be pretty stubborn. Most things that end up being a craze I try to stay far away from. I am quite the rebel. The thing is though, with just about every popular thing I boycott, I end up giving in and falling in love with it. One day I will understand when everyone praises something, there is probably a reason for it. For now I will learn the hard way and have awesome late discovery days like today. The holidays are officially over and my hibernation weight needs to go so I've started working out and eating healthier. With the change of pace I decided to officially give into two things; Lululemon and quinoa. My lovely mother got me a Lululemon gift certificate for my 21st birthday and almost 8 months later I finally used it! I got the No Limit Tank and the Back on Track Crop and they are so AMAZING. Now I get it. Lululemon lovers of the world, I commend you. Moving right along...


Quinoa Salad
Quinoa, quinoa, quinoa. I still will never understand how certain health foods become popular. My nutrition teacher last quarter said, "Quinoa is what's in, it's so hot right now", and that was enough for me to think it was silly. But after reading food and fitness blogs the last week or so and hearing how much everyone loved it I decided to give it a go. Of course it's delicious. Look who's the silly one now. I had trouble finding a recipe that I liked online, they all seemed so different too which was confusing for a newbie. So incase you're like me and are finally giving in but are totally lost, I'm posting my recipe. (Note my recipe makes a large batch, from what I hear quinoa keeps well for about a week so I wanted to have a bunch made for quick and easy meals. If the quantity scares you just half it!)


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups quinoa
  • 3 cups cold water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Small can of sweet corn
  • 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 bundle of green onions, chopped (makes about 1 cup)
  • 1 tbsp of ground flax seed
  • 1 avocado

Dressing:
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 whole large lemon)
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic

First soak the quinoa for about 5 minutes in cold water, strain in a large mesh strainer, and rinse a couple more times in strainer. Add quinoa, water, and salt into a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling keep covered, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. Once quinoa is done cooking remove from heat. While quinoa is cooling mix together all ingredients of dressing ( I put them all into a jar and shook it up). In a large bowl gently combine cooked quinoa, dressing and remaining ingredients. When serving add a couple fresh slices of avocado for extra deliciousness!

Anyway my friend Taylor is on her way over right now so I better quit blogging and start vacuuming (with all these furry friends of ours I vacuum almost everyday, party on). Which reminds me, as promised, here is a picture of our handsome cat Dexter..

Dexter




..he is so stinkin' cute. 

--Candace